Saturday, March 14, 2015

Winter Berries Quilt from fabric I adored...

I have a real love for trees...especially trees that have lost their leaves and look so bare.  If they have berries on them that's even better.  I love bare trees and branches in artwork, home decor, fabric...just about in anything.  I was shopping a few months ago and I saw some fabric that I fell in love with.  I looked at it several times over the next few visits to that shop and I finally broke down and bought a few yards of it.  I brought it home and showed my husband and he immediately declared, "Of course, you love it. It is a bunch of dead trees."  He doesn't quite have the same fascination as me. (Wink).  Anyway, I didn't want to make anything fancy out of it. I just wanted to be able to see the branches every time I looked at it, so I decided to just make a simple snowball quilt.  I later found a fabric that matches it with birds on tree branches.  Birds are okay, just not as cool as trees, but I decided to get it for the backing.  So here's a few pictures of what I decided to call "Winter Berries".  I washed it to make it nice and quilty feeling and now it's my favorite quilt to snuggle under.



This one shows the quilting in the sashing and the individual squares.  I decided to use a leaf pattern in the squares, but also added a diamond to coordinate with the diamond pattern in the sashing.


Here's the leaf pattern in the border.  I don't know if you can see it well enough, but the brown fabric looks kind of like tree bark.


You can see the winter birds on the backing.  Cute, but not as impressive as the branches with berries. (Smile)

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty quilt. Loved how your block just kind of showcased what you loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Sometimes you just need to do a really simple quilt in fabrics you love!

      Delete
  2. This turned out really beautiful with those "dead trees." I love "dead trees" too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Dead trees are the only part of winter that I like. LOL

      Delete